Wheat is the most prominent cereal crop grown in India and largely produced in Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Bihar and Gujarat. The crop has wide adaptability and can be cultivated in tropical, sub-tropical zones, as well as temperate zone and the cold tracts of the far north, beyond even the 60 degree north altitude. Wheat can endure extreme low temperature weather and resume growth with the entry of warm weather in springs.
Infact, Wheat grows well in areas having cool, and moist weather during the major portion of the growing period followed by dry, warm weather to enable the grain to ripen properly. Indian farmers produce wheat crop in a year, with planting in October and November, and harvests from March.
Being one of the largest contributor crop in India’s agriculture economy, it also requires adequate nutrient management to maintain this consistent adequacy. The reports suggest that the wheat production is set to escalate this year to greater extent as the scientists predict favourable weather conditions in 2023. With that being said, farmers should ensure that they know right ways of crop fertilization in any climatic condition since that is too uncertain to begin with and the market gives enough accessibility of biofertilizers that can be implemented and stored well in any case.
Which Biofertilizers are necessary for wheat production?
Inoculants like Azospirillium, Azatobacter, Phosphate Solubilsing Bacteria, and Sulphur Solubising bacteria are important for enhancement of wheat agriculture. Each of these biofertilizers provide essential nutrients required for better crop yields of wheat and eco-friendly substitutes to chemical fertilizers, making the soil fertility better and nurture the plant organically.
Benefits of Azospirillum for Wheat farming :
- It is basically used to fixate the atmospheric nitrogen biologically.
- It is capable of synthesizing the phytohormones, especially indole-3-acetic acid which accelerate the plant metobolism and play an important role in stimulating defense mechanisms in plants to fight against various environmental stresses like high and low temperatures, drought, salinity, alkalinity, UV-rays and other abiotic stresses like salinity.
- It helps in producing hormones like auxins,cytokinins, and gibberellins. These hormones are also called as plant growth regulators.
Benefits of Azotobacter for Wheat farming :
- It plays a vital role in suppressing the pathogenic diseases that hinder the plant’s growth. Azotobacter resists the root rot fungus named Macrophomina phaseolina and Fusarium oxysporum, which encourages the healthy growth of plant.
- Implementing Azotobacter leads to production of siderophores, antimicrobial substances, toxins and also the growth hormones like auxins, gibberellins and cytokinins too.
- With generation of these hormones, it makes space for root growth, and eventually more root area for rhizobium. This process increases root nodulation, and biological nitrogen fixation.
Benefits of PSB for Wheat farming :
- As the name suggests, Phosphate Solubilising Bacteria is capable of solubilising the inorganic Phosphorus from insoluble compounds.
- PSB increases resistance towards diseases and drought tolerance by encouraging rapid cell development in the plants.
- It is compatible to other beneficial microbes with the plant like growth promoting substance.
- It promotes faster root growth for better water and nutrient uptake.
- It produces organic acids like malic, succinic, fumaric, citric, tartaric acid and acetic acid which fasten the Phosphorus pentoxide up take, crop maturity and increase yield.
Benefits of SSB for Wheat farming :
- Sulphur Solubilising Bacteria helps in chlorophyll formation which eventually allows photosynthesis process. This mechanism produces starch, sugars, oils, fats, vitamins and other compounds.
- It forms active cells that grow, multiply, and mobilize the indissoluble sulphur existing in the soil.
- SSB is adaptable to all kinds of habitats right from normal soil, water environments to extreme natural sources like geothermal areas, black shale, volcanic eruptions and acid rock drainage.
Krushagra accomodates these biofertilizer products in cost-effective rates that can enhance the crop productivity of wheat. Manufacturing these eco-friendly substitues is an enabling move towards sustainable agriculture. Contact us to know more about their usage and technique of applying it to the wheat farming.